|What Are The Different Types Of Depression?|
3.Bipolar Disorder or Manic Depression
Patients with manic depression change mood shifts from depression to mania and can be highly irritable for a week, feeling as if they are the most important people in the world.
What affects: affects both men and women and is found among people of all ages, races and social classes.
Lasts:persists throughout a lifetime (appears between ages 15 and 24)
- inflating ego, increased energy, activity, and restlessness
- aggressive behavior-racing thoughts and talk fast
- get distracted easily-denial that anything is wrong
- overly good, euphoric mood-can’t concentrate well
- jump from one idea to another
- little sleepn’t forget, early diagnosis is the key to successful treatment!
4.Dysthymia( known as a chronic depression or dysthymic depression )
This is a depression of the chronic type. It is similar to major depressive disorder (clinical depression), but less severe. People suffering with dysthymia are said to be in and out of depression for a period of two years.
What affects: people feel sad and melancholic
Lasts: for 2 years or more
- you feel hopeless and have eating problems
- weak concentration and lack of energy
- fatigue and irregular sleeping pattern
5. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
Probably you’ll find it strange, but some people get depressed during fall or winter and this is known as seasonal effective disorder. They become normal people when the depression season ends.
What affects: hits mainly young women who are living farther away from the equator
Lasts: within the season
Seasonal affective disorder exists in two types:
hopelessness and anxiety
loss of energy and oversleeping
loss of interest in different activities
appetite changes, weight gain
B. Summer depression
anxiety and insomnia
irritability and weight loss
increased sex drive
6. Atypical Depression
This kind of depression occurs in women and teenagers between 13-19 years of age and the patient with atypical depression can see that his/her mood improve if something positive happens. Many doctors claim, atypical depression is a result of a chemical imbalance in the brain. As a whole, it is very difficult to live with someone who sometimes is hypersensitive emotionally or go into panic attacks very often.ar in mind the fact that atypical depression can co-exist with other diases!
What affects: people may gain weight or feelhungry, or feeling heaviness in their arms and legs
Lasts: if you change your lifestyle, symptoms of this disorder may disappear within weeks
- meet difficulties with maintaining relationships
- loss of interest in lifeand feelings of emptiness
- conflicts with friends
Types Of Depression In Men
If you think that depression affects women rather than men you are wrong. No matter what is your age, ethnic background or gender- depression can hit anyone. Men suffer as often as women, but are less likely to ask for help.
Yes, depression is a real illness, but it can be treated. Keep in mind that when you are depressed, it doesn't have to hurt your family. You may have some personal or other difficulties, if you left it untreated. Don’t panic and don’t feel hopeless!
Men Are Affected Mainly By 3 Types Of Depression
a) major depressive disorder
c) bipolar disorder
Most of the men are affected from sleep disturbances and irritability rather than feelings of sadness or worthlessness. In contrast to women, men don’t want to ask for help or treatment. They choose alcohol or drugs, instead. Some of them become frustrated, irritable or discouraged, other men are taking risks, trying to hide their depression from themselves. But what you need to do is- to make a good diagnostic.
A Good Diagnostic Assessment Includes:
- complete history of symptoms
- asking about alcohol and drug use
- whether there are thoughts about death or suicide
- whether other family members have had a depressive illness (what treatments they may have received)
- a mental status examination (to determine if speech, thought patterns, or memory has been affected)
The most important thing you can do when you have doubts for depression is to see your doctor for a diagnostic evaluation.
How To Heal All These Types Of Depression Naturally?
The most important thing is to CHANGE YOUR WAY OF THINKING!